Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Boston sports fans finally get to celebrate a Championship....in 2008


It’s a hard thing to win a championship. Just ask Sir Charles or Karl Malone. Pierce, Garnett and the boys got their names off a dubious list last week. Anyone who saw Garnett’s post game interview could see the years of frustration being wiped away.

Kevin Garnett probably cemented his place and one the best forwards of his generation. Now he didn’t have the best finals but he played well in the last game and most people will use that as their barometer. He got the monkey off his back by winning a title and now Sir Charles has to pick up the tab next time they hit South Beach. ( Assuming Charles has paid off his gambling debts by then) Getting back to his post game interview, It’s rare that we see athletes give us anything other than pre-canned fodder good for a sound bit but not much more. Seeing him overwhelmed with emotion with a look of “I just climbed the mountain” look on his face spoke volumes about how much he cared about this.
Paul Pierce probably earned getting his number retired by the Celtics. Looking at the Garden rafters I’m not sure that’s a tough feat but still… Paul Pierce will never again be thought of as the guy who couldn’t get it done when it mattered. How many points did he have this postseason? 500? 1000? Just crazy numbers.
I think Ray Allen’s career peaked when he filmed “He Got Game” so we’ll leave him out of this post. But I will say that he certainly found his jump shot just in time.
I know Kobe has three titles. I know he’s the reigning MVP. I know he’s a first ballot hall of famer and all that but, how do you allow your team to blow a 24 point lead at home? I still think the Lakers will more titles before he’s retired but that had to be a tough blow. Maybe people will think of other Kobe moments like his three titles with Shaq, his 80+ point game last year but, for me it’s game 4 of the 2008 Finals. If you were a Laker fan would you ever feel safe with a lead again? Not likely.
You can hardly lay this loss squarely on Kobe’s shoulders though. Pao, Sasha, and Farmar never really showed up to play. Giving credit where credit is due as well, the Celtics played good D as well. I still think Kobe is the best player in the game. The Lakers look to be set up to win over the long haul. The Celtics are what’s now, the Lakers are what’s next. The Lakers should have a chance to take another title or two before Kobe’s knees give out or we have another “Vail” incident. I’m not sure if that comforts fans of the Lakers or not but, what else ya got? The Sparks?
Some leftover notes from the Finals: Does anyone know the significance of Kobe’s tattoo’s? They don’t look random to me but I’ll be damned if I can figure them out. They’re like hieroglyphs to me. Remember when only Bikers and Sailors had tattoos? It now seems like they’re everywhere in the NBA now. Did Dennis Rodman start all of this? If not him, who? Good thing the shorts have gotten longer. Who knows how many more tattoos we’d be forced to see. I wonder if the league considers this an image problem? Who knows. May be I’ll tackle that topic another time.
Speaking of Tattoo’s, I see that Carmelo Anthony, the ringleader of Team Tat, other wise known as the Nuggets, got busted and pleaded guilty to a DUI type offense. He was driving a silver Mercedes at the time. I guess no one’s ever told bit time pro athletes that if you’re going to break the law, don’t do it in a super fancy car. $200,000 Lamborghini’s and Maybach’s tend to stand out in a crowd you know what I mean? There’s no word on if Carmelo got a fresh tattoo while he was in lock up.
Lastly, do you think it’s awkward for the Lakers ticker guy when he has to tell Diane Cannon that she’s not hot enough to sit in the front row anymore? Gotta be a little uncomfortable right?



Dickie Dunn

“If Dickie Dunn wrote it, it’s gotta be true.”

No comments: