Friday, September 12, 2008

Week 2 Picks : Weirdness Abound!

Wally Sobchak rolling out his week 2 picks. Yes, I am quite aware that last week’s “lock” came up slightly short. I think the Lions got caught off guard by that early bomb to Jenkins and that kept them at bay from playing the run for the rest of the game. The Lions were still in it at 28 – 21, but too much rushing excellence by the Falcons won out at the end. I tip my cap to the Falcons and believe that much better things are in store for their near future. They probably ended up with the biggest score of last year’s draft in Matt Ryan. The good news regarding my “lock”, as pointed out by my good friend Dickie Dunn, was that had I been in Vegas (because gambling is definitely not legal in the sunshine state), I would have had the Lions on all of my parlay slips. Little victories, right?

Other than that snafu, I had a respectable week, finishing 9 of 14 on Sunday followed with a dreadful 0 of 2 on Monday. All in all, a winning week highlighted by taking Tennessee over Jacksonville, Carolina over San Diego (loved the end of that game when the receiver catches Delhomme’s game winning TD pass and everyone just stands there in shock, including the crowd) and Chicago over Indianapolis.

Enough about the past, we’re heading into week 2. This is usually a bad week for picking against the spread. It’s the week where you think you have a good idea about a few teams, but in reality probably not. The fact that a lot of strange lines have popped up is very demonstrative of this theory. Take for instance, Tennessee coming off of a strong defensive showing against last year’s upstart Jaguars are a 1.5 point dog on the road against the Bengals (who were deterred by a rookie starting his first game last week). Seems odd. My thought is that odds makers believe that the Bengals need to have a big game to a) prevent their season from being flushed down the toilet and b) save Marvin Lewis’ job. I’m not buying it.

The Washington Redskins had an abysmal week 1 (see previous post), however, they somehow find themselves being favored in week 2 against a strong Saints team. I know the Colston injury seems like a big hit for the Saints, but Jeremy Shockey and Devery Henderson can still open it up for Reggie Bush on the outside. Not buying this either.

Both of these are games which I would completely avoid if I was laying wood. It seems like Vegas knows something that us common folk do not. My guess is that the favorite hits in one of those two games.

Here are the games which I like this week (aka would bet on if betting were legal, blah, blah, blah):

Carolina laying 3.5 against the Bears. Bears looked great in week 1. So did the Panthers. When it comes down to it, I’ll bet Jake Delhomme over Kyle Orton. The half may end up biting me in the rear, but I’ll take my chances.

Minnesota getting 1.5 (at home) against the Colts. Inconceivable that Peyton Manning could start 0-2 this season, you say? Well, the Colts didn’t just get beaten last week, they were beaten up (hey Marvin Harrisson, way to show that you are still a force to be reckoned with in that receiving corp by fumbling away a ball that was returned for a TD. Maybe you should concentrate a little more on securing the ball and less on protecting your Philadelphia “business opportunities”. In an entirely unrelated story, wasn’t it funny how we never heard any follow-up on that shooting outside of Harrisson’s bar and that Roger Goodell never found it necessary to suspend Harrisson for something he was never convicted of? Roger loves the teams that earn the revenue.) Anyway, Addai’s hurt, Manning is still getting his feet under him, Minnesota has a very good defense as well. Get ready for the “end of the Colt’s dynasty” stories to pop up on Gameday next week.

Denver getting 2.5 (at home) over San Diego. The theme of the week is home dogs (unless you are the rams, in which case I may not pick you to cover all season long). The Jay Cutler revenge game against the smack talking Phillip Rivers is here. I guarantee that the Broncos haven’t forgotten about those two Chargers beat downs from last season. I think the defense brings it against Rivers and LT’s injury is a factor. I will also be attending this game and the Broncos seem to have a knack for covering when I’m at Invesco.

I have no lock this week, because all of the matchups are interesting (with the exception of Giants-Rams and I can’t even lock that because NYG’s offense seemed questionable in the second half against Washington AKA let’s not take any chances because these guys can’t score on our defense).

That’s it for me, I’m sure Dickie will see things differently.

And a good day to you, sir.

Wally



Dickie The Greek here, had to knock some pre-season dust off of my handicapping abilities last week. Hope you still have your house. After week 1 here's what you know: The Raiders and Rams will be fighting it out for the number one pick next April, and Tom Brady isn't going to be on "Dancing with the Stars" anytime soon. Also, Jacksonville proved it's pretty tough to win when you lose 3 starting offensive lineman over the span of two weeks. To put this in perspective, most teams only carry 7 offensive lineman total. Which means Coach Del Rio now has at least one person playing key minutes who wasn't considered good enough to even make their roster just one month ago. If you ask me, I think David Garrard should start wearing extra kidney pads just to be safe. Speaking of being safe, I need to echo my man Wally's comments about Marvin Harrison. The commish has a way of picking his battles when if comes to the leagues conduct policy. I wonder if Mr. Harrison would have been suspended if the Colts weren't having the grand opening of their new Lucas Oil Stadium week one. With oil hovering at about $100 bucks a barrel, coming up with the cash for naming rights must not have been too tough.
Now onto the soon to be famous often imitated but never duplicated, week two picks from Dickie the Greek. Lots of stinkers this week, good thing I have the Sunday Ticket or I'd be stuck watching Oak vs. KC. take the chiefs...don't watch the game. Not sure how that Packers/Lions game isn't more than 3. Take the Pack. Matt Millen has destroyed all hope in Detroit even earlier in the season than usual. I like the Bills, somehting tells me being down 3 O-lineaman is gonna slow the Jags a bit. and the only thing interesting about that Ravens/ Texans game is Hurricane Ike. I took the Ravens. My complete picks are below, lots of stay away games if I was in Vegas, but I made every pick. The closest thing I could come to a "Lock of the week" was the Packers minus the figgie at Ford field. Probably better to lay some wood on the Trojans to pummel the Buckeyes on Sat. The Buckeyes cheat wayyyy better than the Trojans and pay their players lots more and Pete Carroll isn't happy about it. I see him amaking a statement Sat night. Followed by Jim Tressel going to the Alumni mon morning and having them line up some more lucrative "summer internships" for the Class of 2009.

Until Beer with Breakfast is socially acceptable, Dickie Dunn.

(aka Dicke the Greek)

Home TeamLineOpponentWally's PickDickie's Pick
Cincinnati-1.5TennesseeTennesseeTennessee
Washington-.5New OrleansNew OrleansNew Orleans
Carolina-3.5ChicagoCarolinaCarolina
Jacksonville-6.5BuffaloJacksonvilleBuffalo
Detroit+2.5Green BayGreen BayGreen Bay
Kansas City-3.5OaklandOaklandKansas City
St. Louis+8.5New York GiantsNew YorkNew York
Minnesota+1.5IndianapolisMinnesotaIndianapolis
Seattle-8.5San FranciscoSeattleSan Francisco
Tampa Bay-8.5AtlantaAtlantaAtlanta
New York Jets-2.5New EnglandNew EnglandNew England
Arizona-6.5MiamiMiamiArizona
Denver+2.5San DiegoDenverSan Diego
Cleveland+5.5PittsburghPittsburghPittsburgh
Houston-4.5BaltimoreHoustonBaltimore
Dallas-6.5PhiladelphiaPhiladelphiaPhiladelphia

No comments: